Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Home Shots...

last friday was my first at home injection... mondays i still go to the cancer center for labs so they will continue to give me monday shots... and last wednesday i brought my hubby with me so he could learn to administer them... then friday was our first.  we experienced some technical difficulties... apparently the center forgot to tell my hubby to use the larger gauge needle to draw the shot, then switch to the smaller gauge to give the shot. 

not to mention we all overslept on friday... so my hubby had to dread giving me the injection all morning at work.  not good.  i think its bad dreading the shot period... but my hubby, like myself, hate needles... yet he is willing to do anything for me... it may have taken a little longer than should, but we got it done...

i have mentioned my past a little in previous posts... i used to party hard... gave that up in 2005.  but to some of you you might consider me off the wagon after i discuss this next issue... i am a medical marijuana patient.  i was taking zofran, and compazene for my nausea at first when my chemo started... i realized they only seemed to make my nausea worse... to the point where i was so nauseaus my back would begin to hurt, almost like back labor pains... so very painful.  then a friend of mine talked to a friend of theirs who is highly involved advocate for medical marijuana... they said to find certain strains- those were the ones in the purple and lavender families... said they are the best for chemo and helping with nausea and appetite (in my first month of high dose i lost nearly 20 lbs)... oh the difference a joint made... no more back labor pains... and i could actually eat again...

now my only issue is the medicine is doing its job... breaking down my immune system... i have had an awful cough for almost a month now... can't seem to shake it.  drs say to try using a vaporizer for my medical marijuana... i did, but then all i taste is the plastic tubes from the vape... i would eat it, but that gets pretty expensive... and since it is an election year all the medical dispensaries are currently shut down.  if they were still open i could continue to discuss compassionate care with them... basically meaning that they help patients like myself with either extreme discounts or for free.  but like i mentioned its an election year... so the federal government ignored our presidents wishes to allow states to choose for themselves... 

i am actually having more issues with the interferon... but now that i can eat again they seem so small... i still experience the chills/fevers after a shot... but fortunately thats only 3 times a week now... not everyday.  i also get very bad joint pains... mostly in my hips and legs... but i have gotten joint pains in my hips since i had little man, and they got worse after having princess... now they are just way more intense and radiate down my legs.  when i first told the cancer center they tried to prescribe me demerol... i refused it.  in my past i had issue with narcotics, and demerol is no joke of a narcotic... so i only smoke to get through the pains.  and it does help, but if anyone can think of any other more homeopathic ways to control the pain i am all for hearing them...

oh, and on the day of my first home shot my hubby noticed a bald spot.  i was sitting in front of him at the time... i immediately went to the mirror to try and see it... that didnt work because of where it is located... so i made my hubby take a pic so i could see what he was talking about... almost like i didnt believe him.  so as he took said pic he reminded me he has often seen the back of my head... but never a bald spot, until then.  i knew i was losing some hair.... but i was hoping for it to just thin some.  apparently i am not so lucky.  but for now its only one spot... but if i get too many i will go for the g.i. jane look... then get a wig... i will try being a redhead because i have always wondered what i would look like with red hair.  i never wanted to dye it because of all those chemicals.

sorry this post took so long to get to... i still want to get the word out... its just hard while doing treatment.  hopefully we get used to this home shot stuff soon... then i hope to get back to posting more often.

1 comment:

  1. Since this was two years ago, I have to ask: what has changed in the interim? Has it became easier for you to acquire medical cannabis? I hope you were able to resolve your issues with your marijuana intake, and that you've already settled on a recommended strain now. Hang in there!

    Vincent Mehdizadeh @ Canna MedBox

    ReplyDelete